Final week, Edmonton’s Chef Doreen Prei made Alberta proud with a win on the newest season of Firemasters, the outside barbecuing competitors collection on Meals Community Canada.
Chef Doreen competed via three rounds of fiery culinary challenges, together with the ultimate spherical towards one of many judges, earlier than claiming the $10,000 grand prize in addition to bragging rights of being a Hearth Grasp Champion.
For her signature dish within the first spherical of competitors, Chef Doreen made a dish impressed by a visit to Vietnam. Originating in Hanoi, Vietnam, Bún Chả is historically a dish served with grilled fatty pork over a plate of rice noodles and a aspect of dipping sauce. For the competitors, Chef Doreen served her model of Bún Chả with pork two methods – pork stomach and floor pork patties.
Try Chef Doreen’s successful Firemaster episode on Meals Community Canada to see how she served up her recipe beneath for Bún Chả.
Chef Doreen Prei’s Bún Chả
Yield: 4 to 6 parts
What you’ll want…
300 g pork stomach, sliced into even strips
400 g floor pork
40 ml fish sauce (divided into two servings)
4 cloves garlic, chopped
sugar to style
5 garlic chives, chopped superb
500 g rice vermicelli noodles
100 g bean sprouts, washed
½ bunch mint leaves, washed and picked
½ bunch cilantro, washed and picked
½ bunch perilla leaves, washed and picked
½ bunch thai basil
salt and black pepper to style
Bun Cha Dipping Sauce
200 g sugar
200 ml water
100 ml Vietnamese fish sauce
100 ml rice vinegar
100 ml lime juice, freshly squeezed
3 lengthy pink chili, seeded and chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
- To make the dipping sauce, mix all substances in a pot and convey to a boil. Cut back to a simmer for roughly 10 minutes and pressure. Enable sauce to chill to room temperature earlier than serving.
- Preheat your BBQ to a medium excessive warmth.
- Add the bottom pork to a bowl; add 20 ml fish sauce, egg, salt and pepper and the crushed garlic and blend till mixed. Type into 8 – 12 mini burger patties (two for every serving).
- For the pork stomach, add 20 ml fish sauce, couple pinches of sugar, salt and pepper to style and marinate for about quarter-hour.
- Convey a pot of salted water to a boil and prepare dinner the rice noodles till al dente. Pressure via a colander and rinse with chilly water. As soon as water is strained, place noodles in serving bowls.
- Place the pork stomach on the medium excessive warmth BBQ and grill on either side till crispy. On the identical time, place the pork patties on a calmly oiled BBQ and prepare dinner on either side for about 5-6 minutes. The pork patty must be cooked totally.
- To assemble, first place the cooked rice noodles. High noodles the 2 cooked pork patties and 3-4 slices of the crispy pork stomach; add a number of the contemporary picked herbs, bean sprouts and garlic chives on prime and add a pleasant ladle of the dipping sauce to complete the dish. The bowl must be half crammed with the sauce. Get pleasure from.